Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Where Have All the Men Gone



For the past six months I've been reading a variety of books and studies dealing with the absence of men in churches. The statistics are staggering. Many of you know women whose husbands and boyfriends refuse to come to church, and women complain that many man in the church are 'soft' men.

Where have all the 'manly' men gone? Where are the risk taking, adventurous, dangerous men?

Over the next month I'll be writing about this, but I'd love to hear your input. Why do you think men have left the building? What can we do to attract more men? And women, I'd especially like to hear your views on this.

Are the men in church soft? Is the church too feminine?

I'll give you my thoughts, of course, but first I'd love to hear yours...

Steve

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. There does seem to be a major deficiency in churches of manly men.

    I am too close to the subject to really be objective :-)

    Maybe you can answer this question and make us all very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:24 PM

    Hi Steve,

    Craig sent me a link to your blog. I hope you are doing well. Some deep questions you are throwing out here.

    This reminds me of a column I recently read by Doug Giles. He was pondering the same thing, and came up with some recommendations. You can read the article here: http://www.proudtobecanadian.ca/blog/index/writergroup/6037/

    His basic thesis is that men are leaving the church because the church has become effeminate. Men don't go to service because it feels "unmanly" to do so. Food for thought anyway.

    Take care,
    Ange
    angiemac77@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete