Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Up for a Few Laughs? coming soon... The Dating Life Vol. 1


It happened the way things usually happen for me. This morning I was talking to a friend of mine about this website. Having known me only from work, where I spend most of my time laughing and engaged with both customers and co-workers, he said he was surprised at how serious the site was, as if there was apart of me completely missing from my writing. He asked why the site lacked humour.

My standard answer is that it is difficult to write humour. It comes naturally when I'm with people, but with the quill, it's far more difficult. The other reason is that I laugh quite a bit during the day, and when I sit down to write, I'm often ready to tackle things of a more serious nature. As the day progressed however, I realized a couple of things. The first is that it would be a challenge to expose that side of my personality in my writing. And the second was that laughter acts as an emotional release and helps us see our lives more clearly. The best environment for solving problems or conflict is one in which the participants are laughing. Laughter can act as a de-magnifier for the difficulties in our life. If that was the case, than maybe helping people to smile wasn't such a bad idea... if I could do it. But what would I write about?

Fortunately, I was able to answer that second question pretty quickly. I've been called smooth and charming by some people, but when it comes to the opposite sex I can be a bit... errrr... ahhhem.... dumb. I'll include some tales from my grade school years, the years I wore braces before they were cool, and the past four years of (mostly) singleness. I'll try to write a volume every two or three weeks as an alternate to my regular column. I'll be looking for, as you will see, some tips and comments from you all. (I'll say it again, please don't be afraid to post. I love your emails, but don't be afraid to post your comment.) Perhaps some suggestions from you women out there for us dummi- I mean, men.

Sigh. Okay, so here come the warts, the ridiculous, and the just plain 'head shaking', idiot things and thoughts in my attempt at the dating life.

The Dating Life: Volume 1 will appear within the next two or three days.

-Steve

Authour's Note: Single women please note that I'm actually much cooler now. Super duper cool, actually. So anything you read is about, um, another guy. Well, it's me, but not the 'cool' me that I am now. Um, yeah, I'm much cooler now. Totally different. Totally.

...just wanted you all to know that.
Note 2: The man pictured with Jennifer Aniston is not me. I'm not saying it shouldn't be me. I'm just saying that it isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment