Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Some Morning Inspiration


"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson





When I first realized that I wanted to be a writer, I was hesitant about telling people my dream. It wasn't practical, for one thing, and I wasn't very good either. I wrote in secret, and when I did mention it to others, I made it sound like it was just a hobby, a side pursuit. I didn't talk about the way it made me feel, the way it lit me up inside and filled me with excitement. Not until, that is, I read Stephen King's ON WRITING. King was firm about not only the amount I needed to read and write every day to be successful (4 – 6 hours, 1000 words), but also that I needed to own my dream. That so long as I didn't respect my dream, nobody else would either.

I took both of his suggestions to heart, and not only began to immerse myself even more in my books and work, but I began to tell people, timidly at first, my dream of being a successful writer. I was sure that I would be laughed or mocked, or see those signs of disapproval that people give without always vocalizing it. An eye roll. The disapproving head shake. Mostly though, people were supportive. They wanted to see how I was doing, how the dream was progressing. Because I owned my dream and took it seriously, others did too.

Look, there will always be Dreamkillers. There will always be people who will tell you that you can't do it. I think you'll find, however, that if you look past them and really go for it, you'll find the encouragement you need. Most people want to be inspired. Humans are mimetic creatures, and we're always looking for models, others who will encourage us towards our God-given passions.

What do you want? What is that burning passion inside you? To own your own store? Write video games? Become a painter? You can do it, because the necessary ingredients are already there. Don't let others bring you down. Instead, be their inspiration.

Go get 'em…

-Steve

More Emerson quotes here.

Yeah, it's a Jordan commercial. Still great.

No comments:

Post a Comment